TLC Free Reads
We’re open to submissions for this year’s TLC Free Reads!
The deadline for submissions is 31 October 2018, 5pm.
What is it?
Supported by Writing West Midlands, the TLC Free Reads scheme is a free manuscript assessment for writers on a low income and/or who are under-represented in publishing.
The TLC Free Reads Scheme offers talented, low-income writers the opportunity to apply for free access to their manuscript assessment service, available for extracts or full manuscripts across fiction, creative non-fiction, short stories, poetry, scripts and screenplays.
Funded by Arts Council England, The Literary Consultancy is the UK’s first and leading editorial assessment organisation.
Chosen applicants will be contacted by 5th January and will then receive further information.
We are unable to give individual feedback on submissions.
Who can apply?
To be eligible for Free Read service you can write fiction, non-fiction, poetry, drama, screenplays or theatre plays.
You must be a resident of the West Midlands (Birmingham, Warwickshire, Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Solihull, Coventry, Stoke-on-Trent, Telford & Wrekin, Wolverhampton, Walsall, Sandwell and Dudley.)
You must be on a low income (household income of less than £17,000 per year.)
To be considered so, one of the following criteria must apply:
- You receive Job Seekers’ Allowance, income support or working tax credit
- disability benefits or other benefits
- You are a full-time student
- You are retired or over 60 years old
But if none of the above applies to you, we will also consider other financial factors – just tell us what they are.
Your submission must not:
- Be written in any other language than English
- Be authored by more than one person
- Be from a current student of a Creative Writing university programme
How to apply:
You will need:
- TLC Free Reads Application Form – please complete this form, indicating the full length of your manuscript (not the length of your excerpt).
- Proof of low-income document (please do not send original documents) – see application criteria for further guidance
- Opening excerpt of your manuscript (2000 words prose, 40 lines poetry, or 10 pages script)
- A 500-word synopsis of your complete manuscript
- A 500-word covering letter
Send these as a single email with attachments to email@example.com.
Subject line: TLC Free Reads Application – [Your Name]
Accepted file formats: .doc, .docx, .pdf
The deadline for applications is 31 October 2018, 5pm.